Fiji & Tuvalu Scholarships
Australia Awards are long-term development awards administered by the Australian Government. The study and research opportunities provided by Australia Awards Scholarships develop recipients’ skills and knowledge and help them build networks to drive change and contribute to development.
Australia Awards Scholarships offer emerging Fijian and Tuvaluan leaders the opportunity to undertake full-time tertiary study in Australia in priority fields relating to Fiji’s development. Scholars are well supported throughout the period of their studies in Australia.
Australia Awards Fiji and Tuvalu offer two types of scholarships:
Australia Awards Scholarships (AAS) – are offered to study at tertiary institutions in Australia.
Australia Awards Pacific Scholarships (AAPS) – are offered to study at tertiary institutions in the Pacific region.
Australia Awards Scholarships are offered for the minimum period necessary to complete a chosen study program at an Australian university.
The following benefits apply to all recipients of Australia Awards:
- introductory academic program
- full tuition fees
- a single return, economy class airfare (by the most direct route)
- an establishment allowance (as a contribution to initial accommodation expenses, textbooks, etc)
- a fortnightly contribution to living expenses paid at a rate determined by the Australian Government
- a compulsory 4-6-week Introductory Academic Program (before formal studies commence)
- Overseas Student Health Cover to cover basic medical costs (except for pre-existing conditions) for the duration of the award. It is only available for the awardee.
In addition, some awardees may be entitled to the following benefits, depending on their courses of study and other circumstances:
- supplementary academic support to assist with academic success or enhance the academic experience
- reunion airfare
- disability support
- one return economy class airfare to home country or within Australia to undertake fieldwork for eligible research.
For full details of scholarship benefits, refer to the Australia Awards Scholarship and Australia Awards Pacific Scholarship Policy handbook/s
In accepting Australia Awards Scholarships, recipients agree:
- to commence in the agreed academic year and only undertake the approved study program
- not to hold another Australian Government scholarship other than an Australian Government supplementary award
- to reside in the country of study for the duration of the scholarship (apart from holidays, reunion visits, or fieldwork visits)
- to satisfy all Australian visa requirements
- not to undertake additional off-scholarship tertiary studies
- to be responsible for academic and personal conduct and obey national and state laws
- to contribute to your home country’s development, after completing the scholarship
- to attend a pre-departure briefing and the Introductory Academic Program.